What's for dinner?

12:30 PM Chelsea 0 Comments

The kiddos had a cold last week, so no one was happy in this house. With two sicklings and a sick mom and dad, things like grocery shopping got put on the back burner. It's times like this that I'm glad that I have a well stocked pantry. It's like a game to me to come up with something for dinner from what's in there already.

Tonight's dinner is going to be an easy yet healthy one, taco soup. It also happens to be one of my husband's favorites. I won't tell him that it's also one of the easiest meals I make. I lucked out on that one!

For those who want to give it a try:

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
1 large can Rotel tomatoes with chilis
1 can low/reduced sodium corn
1 can low/reduced sodium pinto beans
1 can low/reduced sodium kidney beans (dark or light)
Chicken broth
Taco seasoning

Directions:
1. Open all cans (Corn, tomatoes, beans). Drain each and empty contents into crockpot.

2. Place both chicken breasts in crock pot.

3. Add chicken broth until beans and chicken are mostly covered. How much broth is really up to you. If you want it soupier, add more. If you prefer it more like a chili consistency, add less.

4. Sprinkle taco seasoning on top. I have a large jar of taco seasoning that I bought at a local market and usually put about 2 heaping tablespoons into the pot. I eyeball it, so sometimes it comes out spicier than other times, but no one seems to notice but me.

5. Stir everything together.

6. Turn crockpot on Low for 6 hours, or if you forgot to put it on at lunch time like I did, put it on High for 4 hours.

7. When done, take two forks and shred the chicken in the soup.

8. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and crushed whole grain tortilla chips on top.

Enjoy!

What's your favorite easy recipe?

You Might Also Like

0 comments: